Oaty rhubarb crumble
‘This low-sugar crumble is a great way to enjoy fresh rhubarb. Rhubarb provides plenty of vitamins and minerals including gut-supporting vitamin C and calcium, as well as being high in fibre. Adding oats to the crumble topping boosts the fibre content further’ – (Dr. Sarah Schenker, Dietitian).
Servings – 6 to 8 people
- 500g rhubarb, sliced into small pieces
- 100ml orange juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- Juice of half a lemon
- 50g plain flour
- 50g coarse oats
- 50g brown sugar
- 50g cold butter, cut into small cubes
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
- Place the rhubarb in a saucepan with the juice and honey and cook for 10 minutes until soft. Transfer into a pie dish.
- Place the remaining ingredients in a bowl and using the tips of your fingers rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle on top of the rhubarb and bake for 20 minutes.